B. Tech / B. Arch.
Know Your Exam
A national level test is conducted by AMU for admission to undergraduate courses in Engineering and Architecture offered by Zakir Husain College of Engineering and Technology, AMU, Aligarh. Following branches of engineering are offered by the university:
Branches will be offered in order of merit and based on preference given by the candidates.
For B. Arch., an Architectural Aptitude Test will be conducted in addition to the Paper - I (Physics, Chemistry, Mathematics) for B. Tech.
Senior Secondary School Certificate Examination of this University or an equivalent examination with at least 50% marks in aggregate of English, Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics or Diploma in Engineering of this University with at least 50% marks in aggregate.
*Paper-II for B. Arch, in addition to Paper-I for B. Tech
There shall be one objective type paper of 150 marks comprising 150 questions on Chemistry, Physics and Mathematics for B. Tech and B. Arch.
Physics : 50 Marks
Chemistry : 50 Marks
Mathematics : 50 Marks
Paper-II (Architecture Aptitude Test for B. Arch): It shall contain some descriptive questions and Test of Drawing.
Exam Duration – 3 hrs each
Mode of Examination – Offline (OMR based)
Negative Marking - For incorrect response, 0.25 marks will be deducted.
Test Centers - The Admission Test shall be held at Aligarh (U.P.), Lucknow (U.P.), Srinagar (J. & K.), Kolkata(W.B.), Patna (Bihar) & Kozhikode (Kerala)
Physical World and Measurement; Kinematics; Laws of Motion; Work, Energy and Power; Motion of System of Particles and Rigid Body; Gravitation; Properties of Bulk Matter; Thermodynamics; Behaviour of Perfect Gas and Kinetic Theory; Oscillations and Waves; Electrostatics; Current Electricity; Magnetic Effects of Current and Magnetism; Electromagnetic Induction and Alternating Currents; Electromagnetic Waves; Optics; Optical instruments; Dual Nature of Matter and Radiation; Atoms & Nuclei; Electronic Devices; Communication Systems
Some Basic Concepts of Chemistry; Structure of Atom; Classification of Elements and Periodicity in Properties; Chemical Bonding and Molecular Structure; States of Matter : Gases and Liquids; Chemical Thermodynamics; Equilibrium; Redox Reactions; Solid State; Solutions; Electrochemistry; Chemical Kinetics; Surface Chemistry; General Principles and Processes of Isolation of Elements; Coordination Compound
Hydrogen; s-Block Elements (Alkali and Alkaline earth metals); p-Block Elements; d and f-Block Elements;
Organic Chemistry –Some Basic Principles and Techniques; Hydrocarbons; Environmental Chemistry; Haloalkanes and Haloarenes; Alcohols, Phenols and Ethers; Aldehydes, Ketones and Carboxylic Acids; Organic Compounds Containing Nitrogen; Polymers
Chemistry in Every Day Life
Sets and Functions: sets; relations & functions; trigonometric functions; inverse trigonometric functions
Algebra: principle of mathematical induction; complex numbers and quadratic equations; linear inequalities; permutations and combinations; binomial theorem; sequence and series; matrices; determinants
Coordinate geometry: straight lines; conic section; vectors; three –dimensional geometry
Calculus: limits and derivatives; continuity and differentiability; applications of derivatives; integrals; applications of the integrals; differential equations;
Mathematical reasoning: mathematical reasoning; probability;
Paper II (for B. Arch. Only)
Architecture Aptitude Test
Aesthetic Sensitivity & Drawing aptitude of the Candidates shall be evaluated involving test of perception, imagination, observation, creativity, presentation & Architectural awareness to be presented in visual format relating to
• Freehand drawing: This would comprise of simple drawing depicting the total object in its right form and proportion, surface texture, relative location and details of its component parts in appropriate scale. Common domestic or day-to-day life usable objects like furniture, equipment. Etc. from memory.
• Geometrical drawing: Exercises in geometrical drawing containing lines, angles, triangles, quadrilaterals, polygons, circles, etc. Study of plan (top view), elevation (front or side views) of simple solid objects like prisms, cones, cylinders, cubes, splayed surface holders etc.
• Three –dimensional perception: Understanding and appreciation of three-dimensional forms with building elements, color, volume and orientation. Visualization through structuring objects in memory.
• Imagination and aesthetic sensitivity: Composition exercise with given elements, Context mapping, Creativity check through innovative uncommon test with familiar objects. Sense of color grouping or application.
• Architectural awareness: General interest and awareness of famous architectural creations-both national and international, places and personalities (architects, designers, etc.) in the related domain.